Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Still at the beach...

Lets see its Day 4 of my vacation. Things are going well. Sunday I spent the day alone exploring little places I've never been and a few I had. I started off the morning at Roanoke Island. Walked around downtown Manteo, NC. On a whim I decided to go to the Elizabethan Gardens. It was a walk through, well garden with flowers and trees, etc. It had statues from back in the day and lots of things. I was hoping for more flowers but given the time of year there weren't too many. After there, I headed down south to the Bodie Island Lighthouse. You can't go in the lighthouse but you can walk all around it and back off behind it to see birds and other wildlife. I thought some were gonna come out of the bushes at one point to get me.

After the lighthouse, I kept driving and driving. Stopped along the way to check out the beach. Found alot of great shells. Drove past the house that was used to film The Nights in Rodanthe. It's for sale for only $1.2 million right now, but its also condemned after the recent storms. That house is truly oceanfront property. I tried to snap some pictures of it while driving and they didn't turn out so great. I'm gonna try and make a trip down there again before I leave. I stopped at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. I chose not to make the climb this time, since I didn't really have the right shoes and it was hot. Its a long climb to the top. So I took pictures and actually went in just up to where you start the climb. I went to the site where it used to sit on the beach. They had to move the lighthouse because of beach erosion. They actually moved it pretty far, which is amazing. Here is a link to information about the lighthouse and and some info on how they moved it.

I had planned on going to Ocracoke in the beginning of the day, but then decided not to because of time. Well before I could get turned around, I was stuck in the line to the ferry to get over there. Yes you have to go by ferry, its about a 40 min ride. Once on ocracoke I checked out the lighthouse there and was going to stop along the beach but decided I'd rather get back on the ferry to get to my home for the week.

Yesterday, I spent the day with my mom. We just drove all around going in shops and checking out places. We went down to the beach in Nags Head. The public access section we chose was a little scary. The steps down to the beach were moving as we walked on them. Then we realized some of the supports were not in the sand and you could see the sand moving as we walked. SCARY! It was only that way due to the storm they had a few weeks ago. We came back to the house and then went down to the beach here and walked around.

Today, I think we're gonna go see the horses on the beach since my cousin and parents haven't done that before. After that I'm not really sure. I like not having a plan, kinda. The anal part of me wants to know what we're doing or if we are. If we're not, I'll go do my own thing. Oh yeah the sunrise this morning was beautiful!!! I can see the ocean from my room! :)

Pictures soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And if anyone wonders where I am, I'm not there I didn't have the vacation time to go. So I'm just as excited to see the pictures as the rest of you.